At 1892 in the Danube park, near "Vida" Drama Theatre, the architect Todor Varhota build the Military Club – a center for the famous Vienna balls from the late 19 to early 20 c. On 25.05.1962 The Military Club was turned into an Art Gallery. The same year artists from all parts of Bulgaria come to paint in Vidin – among them Stoyan Venev, Panayot Panayotov and Ivan Hristov. About 80 works made by them form the initial part of the Gallery. In 1976 the Gallery took the name of the great Bulgarian painter Nikola Petrov. Today the Art Gallery treasures more than 1600 works of art by famous Bulgarian and foreign artists, arranged in 4 specialized sections – Art, Graphics, Sculpture and Decorative art. Apart from the permanent exhibitions there are often guest-exhibitions from Bulgaria and abroad, and various national and international plein-air meetings are organized.