"St. Martyr Demetrios of Thessaloniki" Cathedral church is the pillar of Bulgarian’s faith in Vidin. It is the second-biggest church in Bulgaria after "St. Alexander Nevsky" in Sofia. It was built in the place of the same-named wooden church from 17 c. There, on 06.12.1868, the Vidin Archbishop Anthim (later - First Bulgarian Exarch) supports the Tsarigrad Bulgarians and renounces the canonic submission to the Ecumenical Patriarchate. The decision to erect the modern Orthodox temple was made in 1884. With the voluntary donations by Vidin’s citizens and with the participation of many Italian and Bulgarian craftsmen, "St. Martyr Demetrios of Thessaloniki" was completely finished and consecrated in 1926. The inside decoration of the Cathedral is impressive. The scene "Tsar Petar’s heralds present gifts to St. Ivan Rilski" is particularly remarkable. There is no other Orthodox mural depicting the faces of the leaders of the National Liberation – Hadzhi Dimitar, Georgi Sava Rakovski, Luben Karavelov, Hristo Botev, Vasil Levski, Todor Alexandrov. The church has been declared a Monument of Culture of National importance.